Thursday, March 31, 2016

Dummy coding for categorical predictor variables

In this tutorial, we show how to perform a dummy coding for categorical predictor variables in the context of the logistic regression learning process.

In fact, this is an old tutorial that I was written a long time ago (2007), but it is not referenced in this blog (which was created in 2008). I found it in my archives because I plan to write soon a tutorial about the strategies for the selection of categorical variables in logistic regression. I was wondering if I had already written something that may be linked to this subject (the treatment of the categorical predictors in logistic regression) in the past. Obviously, I would have to check most often my archives.

We use Tanagra 1.4.50 in this tutorial.

Keywords: logistic regression, dummy coding, categorical predictor variables
Components: SAMPLING, O_1_BINARIZE, BINARY LOGISTIC REGRESSION, TEST
Tutorial: Dummy coding - Logistic Regression
Dataset: heart-c.xlsx 
References:
Wikipedia, "Logistic Regression"